Contact Us 207-324-4422

Partition Actions: When Unmarried Couples/Cohabitants Split

Partition Actions: Many millennials and other couples live together with their partner without getting married. The number of couples who live together as opposed to getting married, increases each year. Many couples cohabitate for years. Cohabitation sometimes involves jointly owned pieces of real estate and other property. It almost always involves sharing expenses. Sometimes one partner will contribute to the mortgage on property owned by the other for years.  

For those couples living together but not married in Maine, there is no legal recognition of a “common law” marriage. Maine does not offer a divorce proceeding for those couples not married, even if they own real estate and other property together. However, there is a way to equitably (fairly) divide what you own. This is called a partition action. The attorneys at Bourque Clegg Causey & Morin have experience handling partition actions, whether brought by us on behalf of our clients or in defending such actions brought by others. There are also other ways of achieving remedies if you have contributed to your partner's business or financial benefit and believe you have been taken advantage of. Call the attorneys at Bourque Clegg Causey & Morin today at (207) 324-4422 for a consult. Someone will be able to assist you right away. 

A Full Service Law Firm Ready to Act Now…

By "full service," we mean the ability to quickly and efficiently find the solutions to your specific legal problems. We invite you to review our "practice areas" for your particular need. Our experienced lawyers and support staff are literally ready to assist you today. We pride ourselves in working as a team, and you will feel that team approach when you enter our offices. Efficient, expert lawyering, professional staff, fair prices, and a team approach to serve you. Your call first results in an attorney consult right away. We look forward to helping you… (207) 324-4422.